The original Parish church of Hindley was built in the year 1641, and was not consecrated but was given
parochial status by the Parliamentary Commission with boundaries covering Hindley, Abram, Aspull, and parts of
Ince. In 1650 a Mr. William Williamson was returned by the inquisition and it was recommended
that Hindley be made a separate parish. 1660 saw the restoration of the monarchy and the
Established Church, and the parochial status was surrended.
The chapel was held in 1662 by a Mr. James Bradshaw, a moderate Presbyterian, who took a forward part in the
Restoration but nevertheless was ejected later that same year for refusing to accept the Act of Uniformity.
For the next six years the living appears to have been vacant; and the following twelve years were
a little volatile, having seven curates during that period. Owing to the non-consecration of the
building there were several disputes about ownership, with the non-conformists claiming it with its endowments,
but were defeated and they left to build their own Presbyterian chapel close by the junction of Ladies Lane
and Market Street, Hindley. The chapel was consecrated on November 1st 1698 but it was not until
1878 that it re-acquired parochial status and was named All Saints. Until then it was always
referred to as Hindley chapel.
By 1658 the small chapel was already in need of major repairs, but it wasn’t until 1758 that an attempt was
made to enlarge it by the addition of a gallery. However the building was so unsafe that it was
demolished and rebuilt completely in 1766 and 1767, with the first service being held on Easter Tuesday, 1778
immediately after a vestry meeting. A major refurbishment of the interior in 1881 saw the removal
of nearly all of the Georgian fittings, the private high-backed pews, three-tier pulpit and the flooring.
This was after the parish had been divided; Abram church starting its own registers in 1838, Ince
church in 1864, and the construction of Saint Peter's church in 1868.
The present building was described by Pevsner as ‘a delightful brick chapel’. It is now
a Grade 2 Listed building.
Another topic that has been discussed for many years was, was the chapel built as a ‘chapel of ease’?
The answer has finally been found in two documents, each dated 1660, that state that it could be
built to save the people of Hindley having to walk all the way to Wigan parish church to hear the readings and
Whilst still within the subject heading of History, by taking a tiny piece of poetical licence it can be
mentioned that in the book of records for burials, the first recorded reads -
1642 Dec 11 An unknown souldier beinge a stranger slaine Dec 9
Unfortunately, up to the present time, the exact location of the grave of this ‘souldier’ remains
undiscovered. However, efforts are still being made to locate it.
A more comprehensive account of the history of the All Saints’ church, researched and compiled by the late
Mr. John Lowe, is contained in a booklet which is available price £1 in church, or by post price
£1 plus postage and packing.
THE INFORMATION GIVEN BELOW IS TAKEN FROM THE ‘BRITISH LISTED BUILDINGS’ WEBSITE.
Google Map/Street View
Bing Map/Birds Eye View
HINDLEY CHAPEL FIELDS LANE
SD 60 SW
10/83 Church of
Church: 1766 with C20 vestry. Brick with stone dressings,
pantile roof. 6-bay rectangular structure with vestry
adjoining north east angle. Round-headed windows have keys
and 3 pointed lights, but sills have remains, possibly of
single mullions. West facade has 2-windows with 3rd,
shorter window and louvred opening above. 2 stone pinnacles
and square open bell cote with domical vault. South facade
has 4 windows and entrance to west with plain timber
architrave, frieze and cornice and 12-panel door. Remains of
inscription to frieze records original building of 1641.
East facade has 5-light window and louvred opening. North
facade has eastern entrance beneath window and connection
Interior: cornice and flat ceiling. West
gallery on 2 iron columns has entablature with dentilled
cornice and plain parapet. Galleries to sides are later;
quatrefoil iron piers on high octagonal bases, entablatures
with fluted friezes and dentilled cornices, plain parapets.
East end has apse with organ loft to right and enclosed
porch and stair to left. C19 altar rail with traceried
roundels. C19 timber pulpit with arcading and figures; 2
stalls with tracery of similar date. Octagonal timber font
dated 1881 with timber relief panel of flight into Egypt
behind. Wall tablets in galleries, 1800-40.
Listing NGR: SD6227804314
IT IS NOTED THAT THE INCORRECT ADDRESS AND POSTCODE HAS BEEN GIVEN IN THESE NOTES. THE SUPPLIERS OF
THE NOTES HAVE GIVEN THE CORRECT INFORMATION.